Lisa’s ITP Bio

Hi friends!

My name is Lisa Ng, and I am in my last semester of the Master of Liberal Studies Program in Data Visualization. I received my B.A. in Urban Environmental Policy from the CUNY Baccalaureate Program for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies.  I am currently a student advisor at CityTech. This is my twentieth consecutive year (wow! but also, hopefully my last year) as a student in the New York City public school system. I am currently waiting on results from various PhD programs to determine where I will be for the next few years.

My academic interests lie in waste, race, data, their relationships to one another, and how they are used to tell stories that affect lives. As an undergraduate, I developed an interest in trash and waste as a tool of pedagogy – because everyone interacts with trash, it serves as an accessible means to understand ubiquitous systems such as capitalism, racism, colonialism, etc. At the CUNY Building Performance Lab, I developed an interest in data, which led me to the MALS program at the GC and eventually to the field of Digital Humanities. I am especially interested in how technology can make archives and lesson plans more accessible.

I have been all over the place in terms of my interests, but that is driven by my curiosity of our environment and my genuine love for people. That is what brought me to the ITP Program. I have spent the past five years organizing and participating in multiple conferences. I also have experience working with and in various community organizations with bases in low-income Asian-American communities in New York City. If you have any questions about anything listed above, feel free to contact me!